Tuesday, October 14, 2008

What defines your life?

I was helping a good friend put together a speech today on themself. As this person put together their speech, I noted that they were focused on everyone else and this speech did not define this person at all. In fact, this speech was about everyone else's accomplishments and nothing was noted about them. I noted that no one cared about anyone else except the person the speech was supposed to define.

As I tried to give this person ideas on how you define yourself, I was reminded of a cemetery marker. This is something that I heard a long time ago and have always remembered.

On most cemetery markers, there is a start date (the date you are born) and then there is an end date (the date you hopefully make it to heaven) and in the middle of these two dates is a dash. Although the dash may seem insignificant, it is quite the misnomer, as this dash represents everything you are! It represents YOU! It is who you are as a living breathing soul. It is who you are everyday of your life. It represents all the years you walk the planet.

What type of conversations do you have? What kind of thoughts? Who you are deep inside that no one else really knows? Typically this marker will also have two lines or a few words that sum up this person's life (a good father, military veteran, loved the family, etc.)

This made me think about myself? What do others see in me? Do I exemplify Christ? Do others want to run the other way when they see me? Who am I? When all is said and done, what would those two lines or words to define me, really say? Would I be pleased or would I wish I could do it all over again? No one's life is perfect but we should always strive to do our best. Do I do that?

Our lives are in such a hurried pace that we often forget the most important things to us. I have to remind myself that I don't want to miss out on those things. I want to live life to the fullest but most importantly, I want to go to heaven with my family and friends. I hope my dearest wish is how my life is defined. I hope the dash in my life represents my ultimate goal. I hope the few words to define me make others know how much I loved them.

Have you thought about YOU? Go ahead and try it....it really is quite constructive! :-)It is great food for thought on how you can be a better you. Your education, worth, friends, family, job will not ever get you to the ultimate place that represents your life and that is the second date on your marker...where do you choose to live forever?

This wasn't meant to be a heavy thought...I always strive in my mind to make myself better and I hope you do too! "-) It is a constant challenge....one day it will be worth it!

As always, love to all! Today has been an okay day...the continuous pain but overall, life is great!
Leah

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Leah,
I am sending you all of my love and prayers this morning. I pray that God will give you an extra special today and renew your strength. I was given your blog site yesterday and I wanted to send you just a little note to let you know that I was thinking about you and praying for you. You are truly a blessing to me and a testimony of God's blessings. I am so thankful that God allowed our lives to cross several years ago and you truly brought a lot of joy in my life. We serve a great God and I know he is able to do all things. It is awesome to know that we have a Heavenly father that we can call on at any time and he is always there. Just the mention of his name! If there is anything I can do please let me know. You are in my thoughts and prayers. I truly love you and if I can do anything at all, I will do it. With all of my love.
May God truly Bless this day for you.
Love,
Linda Shanks