Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Well, I tried.....

I got up today not feeling as many symptons from the chemo as normal. I said to Kimberly, who stays home with me most days, "why don't we go to the mall to eat just to get out?" I knew the mall would give her a way to walk around and me plenty of seating in case I should need it. Of course, I didn't think I would need it. I was just so glad to do something other than lay on the couch all day. Besides our mall is so slow...it is unbelievable how few people are there during the day that I'm surprised they stay open! I'm not sure if it is because of the economy or if it is always that way because I've never stayed home before now.

I try and try to figure out what to do with my hair. What do people do with very thin hair? If I curl it, as I try to do on Sundays, I'll lose more of it....so it takes me forever to try to cover my white scalp! ha. I'm sure no one else would notice but it got to be funny. I would brush it back and the sides of my scalp would show, I move it to the side and it looks like a comb-over......gotta laugh about it....there are worse things than losing a little bit of hair or maybe a whole lot of hair. ha. By the way, those who see me, you won't notice it because I will figure out a way to disguise it for as long as I can. White scalp/Fair Skin=Ugly!! :-)

I'm fine getting into the mall and having lunch. I don't make it very far and the "hot feet" start up. My feet hurt like I'm walking on coals and the more I walk, the worse it gets. So, my afternoon was spent sitting on a bench people watching while Kimberly and one of her best friends walked around.

As I sat on the bench, I notice two elderly gentlemen sitting really really close to each other just enjoying each other's company. I wondered why they sit so close to each other when they have a rather large bench to sit on. I notice as they talk, they lean into each other. It is then I realize that they are talking into each other's good ear. I watch them as they continue to laugh with each other. At one point, the smallest elderly man got so tickled at the other, he slapped his leg and almost toppled off the bench. ha. It was so sweet to watch these two not pay one bit of attention to anyone else...because they were obviously on their outing just like me......

Although it was wonderful to see these two interact with each other....I knew that I was not ready to slow down. I'm ready to get this over and move on! :-)

Please pray that the next few months fly by....I never wanted time to move so quickly.....!!!

Thank you again to those who provide dinner, cards, flowers, gifts, words of encouragement and most of all, prayer! You guys are the best.

By the way, I wanted to mention again the reason I don't eat beef is because they've proven that re-occurence of cancer is 30% greater in those who continue to eat beef even after cancer is removed. My survival rate isn't 100% according to doctors so I don't want to contribute to any re-occurence. Oh Lord...don't even want to think about that!!! :-)

Love to all,
Leah

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good morning Leah. I remember when my cousin was working thru cancer treatments, her hair came out. She sent me something somebody had sent her, and I'm sharing it with you, only because she said it gave her a chuckle and hopefully it will do the same for you. You may have heard this before, if so, it will not hurt to repeat it, a little long but okay, here goes. There once was a woman who woke up one morning, looked in the mirror, and noticed she had only three hairs on her head. "Well," she said, "I think I'll braid my hair today." So she did and she had a wonderful day. The next day she woke up, looked in the mirror and saw that she had only two hairs on her head. "Hmmm," she said, "I think I'll part my hair down the middle today." So she did and she had a grand day. The next day she woke up, looked in the mirror and noticed that she had only one hair on her head. "Well," she said, "Today I'm going to wear my hair in a pony tail." So she did and she had a fun, fun day. The next day she woke up, looked in the mirror and noticed that there wasn't a single hair on her head. "YEAH!" she exclaimed, "I don't have to fix my hair today!!" Love you so much Leah, Vernie

Anonymous said...

God Bless You! I am praying for you today.