Monday, June 1, 2009

I Survived!

Today was my official back to work day. I felt anxious walking into the building but was so excited that I made it to my cube without anyone seeing me. As soon as I set down my laptop, I start seeing heads and smiles around me. I can tell they had been anticipating my arrival today.

The first thing they told me was that I had gone through the wrong door. So, I had to go around to the other door where they had a very large homemade welcome card signed with well wishes from all my co-workers (co-horts in crime). Ahhh, so sweet.

Of course since I've been gone so long, my access into all the systems that I work with didn't work. I couldn't even remember my access codes to get into my phone! You have to remember that I've worked there for 20 years and have used the same code for my phone forever! My mind was just blank...a couple of our IT guys came over and helped me get into the system but I still can't get into all the systems that I really need to use!

Before I knew it, it was lunch time. They had ordered sandwiches from Jason's Deli and everyone brought in delicious side dishes! It was wonderful. However, I was really feeling tired by then and so I guess I was quiet because someone noticed and asked me if I was okay. I guess I didn't realize that I hadn't been talking (imagine that?).

Once I got into my inbox, I had almost 4,000 e-mails. I just started reading them one by one. The bad part is that we are under guidance from our legal dept. that we must retain all our e-mails, work, etc. so there really is no way to delete anything and have a clean inbox. I just started sending them to a folder, called "trash".

I think after seeing all the mounds of policy books, etc. that I have to go through to get a handle on my customer contracts is mind boggling but not overwhelming. I tried to take it all in stride and remind myself that if I could make it through chemo, I can make it reading through stacks of paperwork!

We worked out my business travel on June 16th to fly into Cincinnati that morning, then drive to my customer's office, have our meetings and fly back out the same night (We'll get in around 10:00 pm.). The next morning, I have to be at Emory at 7 a.m. for my test on my liver. The test that I have usually makes me sick so I will just have to take the rest of that day off.

I am very tired! I already have my pjs on so I'm going to go rest. Meet you back here tomorrow. Same place, same time! :-)

Love to all,


Anonymous said...

I am so glad that everything went well! I cannot believe that you are already scheduled to go out-of-town. They did not waste anytime putting you right back in the game. I would not even have the energy to travel to Ohio my first month back to school. It also had to be scheduled the day before your appointment. Go figure! It is a good thing that we can "do all things through Christ who strengthens us."

Are you on a 5 day a week schedule or part-time for a while?


Vernie said...

You did good girl, now rest well! Love you much!

Anonymous said...

4000 e-mails!!!! That's enough to make you sick right there. You need to take a month and telework just to read all of those e-mails. I'm serious. Just be sure to put your health first and only do what you can do without stressing yourself out. I know that's easier said than done - but please try. Well, you wanted to get back to normal - welcome back to the working side of life (big smile).