Friday, November 21, 2008

Back to Emory to remove my pump!

Good morning! I thought I would blog before the day gets to busy!

I'm headed back to Emory to remove my pump. I woke up very sick and nauseated! After having a nice evening with my parents and kids, the chemo always seems to backfire on me. Steve got me a piece of toast and I took some pain meds and I'm feeling ok right now. So frustrating....

I'm can't believe my oldest daughter is turning 20 on Monday. My how time flies. I had hoped once I leave Emory I could at least stop and pick up a card. We are celebrating her birthday with all the family on Thanksgiving.

I just want to say again how much I appreciate my blog comments. So many of you, I've not talked to in years and it just warms my heart to hear from you!!! :-) You learn to appreciate the small things in life, which I already thought I did, but more so when you are down and cyberspace is your communication.......so keep those thoughts rolling.. I appreciate them so much!!

This Wednesday when I went in for chemo it was unbelievable how many people were there!!!! I've never seen so many people. I was thinking to myself, "has this many more people been diagnosed?" but realized that most were wearing masks and they looked really sick. I knew then that they had been having chemo for awhile. I asked the nurses why it was so busy. Apparently they are all trying to get in before the holidays. Emory closes for 2 days for the holiday, which was very surprising to me. This is when you pray that you really don't need them.

Today I'm going to start wearing scarves. My head has so many bald spots that it is frustrating to try to constantly comb-over and then I get out and my hair keeps falling down because there isn't enough to clip onto....I'm not going to wear a wig because this will make my hair fall out and won't grow back. I tried hats on this week because my head gets so cold but oh my....I look horrible! It was quite funny. I will have to find something to keep my head warm but it isn't going to be an easy task I don't think.

I've lost about 15-20 lbs but with all the steriods, you can't tell it. I wonder when this is all over if all of a sudden, I'll just drop the weight or I'll retain it. I really don't care one way or the other, I'm just glad my cell counts haven't been so low yet that I have to have shots and other means that make the chemo worse. My red blood counts were down and my white blood cells were slightly down but not enough to do anything....please pray that my body maintains the cell counts!

My mom massaged my feet alot yesterday which has seemed to help with the neuropathy. I'm so grateful for that. My feet and hands have pins and needles in them no matter what I do but with the massage and the lotion, it really seemed to help this morning.

Well....I'll quit blogging about nothing. I just thought I would give a little update on some of the symptons that I don't usually talk about....I could go on and on but I know God is in control so I don't usually make it the topic of the day. However, anytime something gets better, I always want to give God praise!!

By the way, I heard that an elf from my office is bringing over more paper goods, drinks, etc. tonight! I'm just so blessed in so many ways...the tears and the pain that I go through are made so much better by all of you...as I always say, words are inadequate to tell all how much me and my family appreciate each of you!! You can't even imagine how much!

I even have someone from my office today who insisted they give my family a break and is taking me to Emory. They may be sorry if I'm nauseated all the way as I am usually on this day! ha. However, I so appreciate the help.

Everyone have a very safe and wonderful day!
Love to all,
Leah

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good afternoon!

I am so glad that you are not only hanging in there, but keeping your spirits up as well. I was excited to hear about your tree as I love Christmas as you do. You need to post a picture of it to share with the rest of us that do not have one as of yet. David is all agog at the thought of putting lights on the house. (NOT!) He will do it, but he will not enjoy it. He will only like it once it is finished.

I hope that you have been able to get your presents wrapped as you were discussing a few weeks ago, then your family could very nicely wrap them all for you. I love the shopping, but not the wrapping.

As cold as it is now, we may end up with a white Christmas for once. It would be beautiful to have a day or two of snow, then I will enjoy having my nice Georgia weather back.

Well, I have chattered long enough. You are daily in our prayers and thoughts. Please tell Steve that we are sending prayers and thoughts his way as well.

Love you all,
Christy

Anonymous said...

Leah
Thought I would remind you that we are still thinking of you and praying for you.

(Disclaimer:-)sometimes crazy thoughts overwhelm me.)

Now lets think about the hats. I think you should try them on and have someone take a picture of each one, post them on your blog and then allow us to vote on which one we like the best. You may think they look horrid but beauty is in the eyes of--and who cares about the others. You may start a new 50's fad.

I can't believe you're old enough to have a 20 year old, just like I can't believe I'm old enough to have a 40 year old. Ouch!
Happy Birthday!

We Love you all
Uncle