Thursday, April 9, 2009

Can't sleep tonight...

I've been having a hard time getting to sleep. I'm usually too cold and then when I try to warm up, I get to warm. I just can't seem to get comfortable. The more I toss and turn causes body aches. I realized that having body aches still means that I'm alive and kicking so in the end....it is but a minor thing.

The past couple of days have been spent going to the dentist. As I stated in an earlier blog, the chemo actually ate the enamel off several of my teeth. My teeth are so sensitive that they have to numb my mouth just to check it out. I feel like such a baby but my dentist has been wonderful and so understanding. I realize that investing in relationships in life really pay off when you need them.

I never really thought of it as making an investment of time to care about other people but in the end, it is what everyone remembers. It is not about how hard you work, how much money you make....it is how you make the other person feel. I have been so blessed to have so many people care about me and my family through this journey, that finding the right words to express my gratitude always seem to fail me.

My mom tells the story of how I was a miracle baby when I was born because they thought I was stillborn at birth. The first year of my life, they say I was very quiet and to myself....well, anyone who knows me knows that I have made up for it. I love people and love the interaction! Quiet would not be a word to define me..ha.

You cannot choose family but you can choose your friends and I feel very blessed to have so many friends that I wouldn't even want to begin to name them. I have childhood, work and church friends! I wonder sometimes how I would have made it without the awesome family and friends who have carried us through prayer and support. If you are reading this...then you are who I'm talking about! :-)

It was such a beautiful day today. The day before it was snowing and then today, the sun came out and I woke to the sound of birds chirping. Every day I wake up, my first thought is, "Thank you Lord for another day." God has an awesome sense of humor when it comes to the weather sometimes. We think we can do it all and then here comes a tornado and everyone runs for shelter....and the next day, the sun starts peeking out from behind the clouds. It is just a reminder that we don't know what tomorrow holds but it is important that we know who holds tomorrow.

Well, I'm going to try to go to sleep again. I realized today that I'm going for all my official testing next week at Emory........getting closer to that day when I get the awesome news....cancer free!

With that, I think I'll sign off. Please know how much I appreciate you! Have an awesome day!
Love to all,
Leah

2 comments:

Vernie said...

Good morning Ms. Leah! I am on leave this week and it sure feels good to get up and not have to get out in the traffic! Monday is gonna be a "bear"! Hope you get your much-deserved sleep and rest today. Love you lots and pray for you all the time! May God continue to embrace you and shower you with mercy.

Anonymous said...

Yes, Leah, we are missing Vernie at work. She carries a heavy load and she deserves this much needed week off. Glad you two can relax and listen to the birds. I'm looking forward to my day off tomorrow! Work is fine, but so is family time. Good luck at Emory next week. Let me know if you ever need a ride home from Emory. It's not that far from where I work. Happy Easter!

Tammy